Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A “Big Idea” for all Missional Churches

I read a lot of books every year. Over the last 3 years I’ve averaged about 100 per year. Typically I read in only 2 categories: church/future church and business/ future business, sometimes I toss a little history in there.

Rarely do I find a book that crosses both lines. But yesterday I found one. It’s a book that takes a concept being found across the business world, accepts it as a truth that can be used for God and then sets out to show you how to apply it.

Big Idea by Dave Ferguson is just such a book. Daves “Big Idea” can be boiled down to each week teach one concept, truth or idea throughout your church. From the Sunday service, to Sunday School to home groups and youth group and teach it well. The thought is it is easier and more effective to remember and then be encouraged to apply one idea.

I think this meshes so well with our culture today. We bombarded with so many competing messages all the time that it paralyzes us. Churches that adopt this idea will eliminate that.

The book gives practical advice about starting to plan services in this way. That is a helpful section of the book.

I found that this book takes ideas from people like Guy Kawasaki and Seth Godin and brings them to a practical conclusion for the church.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a way to help the message of the Church cut through all the clutter of the information overload our culture is experiencing. Excellent book, short read but more than worth it.

Great book.


, , , , ,
Share

No comments: