Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Birth of a Missional Community??????

I've been doing a lot of thinking and praying about what missional communities will look like. How they will function and how might they manifest themselves.

Little did I know that as I was developing some thoughts on this, God was already at work.



This is a chart I put together a little while back. The 3 big circles represent missional communities that would work together (in sort of a starfish kind of way). These centers match the personalities of missional people that I've meet.

I've meet some people who feel a rural calling. This center could operate as a retreat, training ground, farm, micro business developer, camp or whatever. The idea being it would provide resources that would be shared with the other facilities.

The Williamsport center would be a small urban center in a poor neighborhood, Williamsport is a town of 30,000 with some great needs. This center would operate as a community center meeting the needs of a finite number of families, whatever those needs are (housing, food, job training, afterschool program etc).

The Philly center would be a major urban outpost that would again be centered in a needy neighborhood and have similar outreach like the Williamsport center.

The churches shown are churches that want to support things like Philly hope and the individual projects. There would be missional outreach to those churches by allowing them to experience missional ministry first hand through service and support opportunities.

This idea is similar to what is being done here in Pittsburgh.

You can also see the video below.



This is the kind of things I believe the church needs to be moving towards. These are examples of missional ministry.

Now I ask for your prayers - God is bring about the resources and people to make the Williamsport Community Center a reality. Tomorrow we meet with the Mayor to begin to discuss the plans. There's a building and a target community and many people are coming forward with interest in the project. Pray God continues to open the doors.

, , , ,
Share

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jerry, I'll be praying for you. If it becomes a reality, I'd love to come check it out. My dad's side of the family is from Williamsport. I still have quite a few relatives there.